Self-Care Sunday: 10 things you can do today
Happy Sunday everyone!
Today I want to introduce the topic of self-care, which I’ll continue to post about in the future. As an Occupational Therapist, I take self-care very seriously. We consider self-care as an Activity of Daily Living (ADL). ADL’s are things we do everyday to maintain our health and wellness – think brushing your teeth, taking a shower, eating, and exercising. Self-care should be no different, yet many of us push it to the side especially when we get busy or stressed (which is when we need it the most!)
So what is self-care exactly?
Self-care refers to something that is provided by you, for you. The intention of self-care is to do something to nurture yourself. To do so, you must first identify your own needs and take the steps required to meet them. Self-care activities can be physical in nature, emotional, social, spiritual, and personal. For example, this morning I took the time for a nice, easy jog with my pup Parker.
We enjoyed the scenery and nature, and each others company (cheesy I know!). I planned it out so we ended at the local coffee shop and had the time and space for a slow morning. With the time I set aside for myself this morning I was able to exercise, spend time with my fur-baby, journal, drink coffee, and reflect. These are all self-care activities that I enjoy and I benefit from. Below is a list of 10 simple ideas of self-care activities that you can do today.
10 Simple Self-Care Activities:
1. Take a walk enjoy a leisurely stroll outside, notice the scenery, notice the clouds, take it all in
2. Be Selfish do something today just because it makes you happy
3. Unplug for an hour or just 30 minutes! Switch everything to airplane mode and enjoy
4. Bake Something try that recipe you’ve been eyeing! And maybe share it with a new neighbor or friend
5. Take a nice, long, hot shower or bath
6. Watch a funny show or movie get laughing!
7.Call a relative or friend catch up and enjoy conversation with someone you miss
8. Write down 5 things you love about yourself
9. Set the timer for 5 minutes and make a list of things you are thankful for
10. Make a cup of tea