Patatas Bravas (vegan, GF)
If there’s one thing I missed most from my time spent living in Madrid, I think it’d be patatas bravas! Honestly, I think I could live off them. Only problem, totally not vegan as they use an aioli dressing.
After spending time in Spain to hike the Camino de Santiago I came home with a serious craving to re-create a vegan version. It’s not the same as enjoying them in a small Spanish alley with some sangria but I must say they did the job!
Vegan Patatas Bravas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 3 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp flour
- 8-10 russet potatoes quartered
- Wash, dry, and quarter russet potatoes; cook in an air fryer at 360, shaking every five minutes or so until they are nice and crispy; about 15 minutes
- For the Bravas sauce:In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion and 1 tablespoon diced garlicAdd 3 tsp paprika and 1 tsp cayenne pepper, Mix together briefly and then add 1 tbsp flour. Stir in 1 can diced tomatoes (drained) and let simmer about 5-10 min (stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn)Pour the mixture into a high speed blender and blend until smooth
- For the aioli: Combine vegan mayo, garlic powder, and lemon juice
- Drizzle the potatoes with the bravas sauce and aioli, garnish with fresh or dried parsley, and enjoy!